Followers

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Of Note: ‘Show Some Love’ by The First Ladies of Disco


Of Note: ‘Show Some Love’ by The First Ladies of Disco

Somebody pinch me.  I must be dreaming!

How can one not applaud this effort?  Each diva (Evelyn ‘Champagne’ King, Linda Clifford, Martha Wash) is a legend of the dance floor.  To bring them all together?  Divine!


Linda Clifford’s disco version of ‘Sweet Charity’s’ ‘If My Friends Could See Me Now’ was one of my childhood’s guiltiest of pleasures.  She enjoyed a string of hits, including four #1 hits on Billboard’s dance chart.  Her duets with the iconic Curtis Mayfield also made quite an impression on the R&B charts.

Evelyn ‘Champagne’ King?  I bow down before this woman.  ‘Shame’ hit the airwaves, scorching everyone’s ears.  I was captivated and never stopped listening.  She enjoyed four Top 10 hits on the Billboard’s Hot 100, while her music fared even better on the R&B and dance charts.

Martha Wash: (Sylvester, Two Tons of Fun, Black Box, C&C Music Factory).  Need I say more?  The lady is still filling dance floors.  Her most recent singles (‘I’m Not Coming Down’ and ‘Free People’ with Tony Moran) both topped the dance chart.  There’s simply no stopping this powerhouse vocalist and she is looking better than ever these days.

The First Ladies of Disco is the brainchild of artistic director James Washington, inspired by James Arena’s same-named book in which Arena interviewed 32 stars of the disco era. 

Oh, I do hope there is more where this came from. Such quintessential voices must be heard.



   




  

No comments: